Allison & Chris' WeddingMoon!


Passport Info Section

6/1/09 -  Here's the latest on the Reqs per Carnival ----  We're still good.  You don't necessarily NEED a Passport/Passport Card!!


What are the new passport requirements?

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of immigration requirements.
U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a valid passport or recognized WHTI-compliant document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable.
Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the Western Hemisphere countries.
Expired Passport: cannot be expired more than ten years from date of expiration to cruise departure; this will only be acceptable for domestic cruise travel completed by 5/30/09.
Guests may apply for passports at more than 4500 passport-acceptance facilities nationwide. These include: passport agencies; courthouses; post offices; libraries.
Passport Fees:
New passport cost: $100 (age 16 and older); $85 (under 16).
Passport renewal cost: $75 (every ten years).
Expedite Processing fee: $60 additional (to above costs).

The Passport Card
U.S. citizens may present the new, limited-use, wallet-size passport card. The passport card will only be valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region and Bermuda. The passport card cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.
U.S. citizens may apply for the new U.S Passport Card on 2/01/08. Based on current projections, the passport card will be in full production in July 2008.
The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book.
The card will have the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult; five years for children 15 and younger.
Passports are required for air travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda. This will impact all guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises; and our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation ports. This will also enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications.
Carnival recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond the completion of travel. For more information or to obtain a passport application, visit Passport Services (click here) can also provide application assistance.
Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.
On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation. Non-U.S. citizens that are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program, must still have a valid unexpired passport. U.S. State Department regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine-readable passport that includes a biometric identifier - e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.
For Europe and Transatlantic cruises, U.S. citizens must have a valid passport. Alien Residents and all other non-U.S. citizens are advised to check with their travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. Certain foreign nationals will be required to obtain a Schengen Visa and/or Croatian Visa.
For sailings to Canadian ports of call, certain foreign nationals must obtain a Canadian visa in addition to the U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Non-U.S. citizens must contact the appropriate consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation.
For sailings to Bermuda, U.S. Alien Residents must present their valid Alien Resident Card in addition to their passport or birth certificate from country of origin. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection.
To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure.
When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.
In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID.

Passport Clarification

Here's some clarity on the Passport issue,  hopefully!

As of today, 2/12/2009, a passport is NOT needed for a closed loop
cruise.  That's one starting and ending at the same port.  Even when
the new regulations are enforced in June 2009, this will hold true.

I've confirmed this with both the folks at Carnival and with the Dept
of State.  The closed loop cruise is an exception and as such a birth
certificate and a drivers license will suffice.

With that being said, I cannot know if the government will change the
rules in the future.   As of right now, that's not slated to happen.
I've also got Luis ready to give me any news.  Since that would impact
many of their travelers, Carnival stays current with the requirements.

It's completely up to you if you would still like to obtain a passport
or passport card.  I'll have all the info of how to do so on the site.
 It will expedite things through boarding and when we exit the ship
and have to navigate through customs.  I do understand that there is a
cost associated with the passports/cards.  The choice is yours.  If
you'd like to get one, great!  If not, that's okay as well.  My only
request to you is that you please read any emails from me containing
the subject line passport.  If the requirement does change, then I
will get that info to you the moment I receive it.

Passports -   Without This, PreBoarding is going to be an Experience . . .

And not one that I’d necessarily recommend to anyone.   Although they keep changing the date, by the time our WeddingMoon rolls around, it will be a requirement to possess a US Passport or Passport Card before embarkation.

So, let’s talk about how we can get you a passport, that is if you don’t already have one.  To those who have a VALID, (the government are sticklers for that whole validity thing) passport, Congrats!  You can stop reading here.  Unless I’ve just captivated you with my words, then by all means, carry on.   Back to the rest of you who still need to apply for your passports.  The process is quite painless.  I just got mine last August, and it was a breeze.

The first thing you need to decide is if you’d like the full blown traditional passport, or the passport card.  It would really depend on where you plan on traveling and how.  If you’re just going to be cruising around North America or driving, I would stick with the card.  It’s only $45 versus $100.  The card will allow land and sea travel ONLY between Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.  It will NOT allow air travel.  So, beware, if you plan on flying to Aruba, you’ll need a traditional style passport.  If you plan on traveling overseas or flying anywhere NOT in the US, the traditional passport would be your best bet. (For flying in the US the passport card is a valid form of ID)

Now that you’ve decided which version of the passport that you’re going to apply for, it’s paperwork time!  First thing that you need to do is check out this page.  It’s a direct link to the requirements from the Dept of State.  Visit the website, and it will walk you step by step through the entire process.  It’s basically go to CVS, have an AWFUL picture taken, bring the completed form, 2 blank checks, and your birth certificate to the post office and they submit it all to the Dept of State.  I’ve simplified the process slightly, = but it’s really that simple.  Then you wait a few weeks and Ta Da, you have a passport!


Now you’re one step closer to being completely prepared for our Weddingmoon! Ticker